This year was not the best for TV & Movies. Maybe because I was so over watching TV after 2020? I’m not sure. I watched New Girl twice, rewatched Friends once (and started a second rewatch) and started to rewatch Vampire Diaries. I watched a ton of terrible Christmas movies in November & December. This was also the year I discovered The Chef Show & Ugly Delicious & Nadiya’s Time to Eat and became OBSESSED with all of them. Love me some food shows. Top Chef, Big Brother, Survivor, The Bachelorette (Michelle’s season), The Challenge, and The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills all had incredible seasons this year. I finally started watching Station 19 after the millionth Greys Anatomy crossover…and I actually LOVE it. Some of my favorite series from 2020 came through with a season 2 (Never Have I Ever, Outer Banks, Emily in Paris) and one of my favorite new shows got cancelled (Prodigal Son). I’m looking forward to some of my favorites from 2021 getting a season 2 in 2022!
Top 15 Movies & Shows (in no particular order):
- The Chef Show (available on Netflix)
- I’m honestly obsessed. Roy Choi & Jon Favreau are an absolute delight. They’re funny & honest & the food looks amazing!! If they don’t put out more shows…I anticipate rewatching!
- Firefly Lane (available on Netflix)
- I loved it! Katherine Heigl & Sarah Chalke are incredible and I really liked how it was told in 3 time periods. Can’t wait for season 2!
- Ginny & Georgia (available on Netflix)
- I really liked this one! It got mixed reviews but I thought the cast was STELLAR and the story was amazing. Kept me on my toes.
- Station 19
- Okay. I’ve been sleeping on this one. I never watched but after so many Greys crossovers I decided to just do it. And holy moly it’s so good!
- The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City
- This is the only “Housewives” franchise I watch and I love it. The drama, the fights, the friendship, the family issues, the LEGAL SCANDALS. I meannnnn come on this show has it all!
- I watch so much reality tv. Like honestly, so much. But Survivor stays the best. The challenges, the strategy, the social/emotional exploration, the progressive conversations. And we had some amazing castaways this year too – plus I truly did not know who was going to win, which just goes to show how great the gameplay was this year.
- Prodigal Son
- I cannot believe this show got cancelled. A serial killer’s son catching serial killers. Plus dealing with the demons of his father’s reality and the rest of the family issues that stem from having a serial killer father. It was riveting television, truly.
- Only Murders in the Building (available on Hulu)
- This was cute but had a thriller-edge to it! It was fun to see Martin Short & Steve Martin together and I really enjoyed the concept.
- Fantasy Island
- Loved the characters, the life lessons, the feel-good aspect of enjoying life. It made me want to watch all of the older versions. Can’t wait for season 2!
- Maid (available on Netflix)
- This one was intense. But good & meaningful & important. Cannot recommend enough. But it will be emotionally draining. Proceed with caution, but know that you must proceed.
- Top Chef
- I’m fairly new to the Top Chef world, but it makes me so happy. I love watching the chefs compete and thinking about their methods and being introduced to new styles of cooking and different cultures. I particularly enjoyed all of the past contestants coming back as guest judges for this season. It was really fun to watch.
- Trial of the Chicago 7 (available on Netflix)
- This movie is so important and so necessary to watch. I don’t even want to say anything else other than you must watch it.
- Nadiya’s Time to Eat (available on Netflix)
- I fell in love with Nadiya. She is honest, relatable, and kind. Her food is accessible. Her warmth radiates from her smile. She is earnest in her quest for knowledge about food origins and the people who help make it available to us. I can’t say enough good things about her. Whether or not you like to cook, if it’s something that you do, her show is for you.
- Murder Among the Mormons (available on Netflix)
- This show was wild & totally unexpected & not what I thought it was going to be. You think you know what’s coming, but you don’t.
- Outer Banks (available on Netflix)
- The actors are amazing, the story-telling is compelling, and it’s just a heart-racing adventure the whole way through! It lives up to the hype.
Rating System: 5 stars – loved it, consistently recommend 4 stars – really liked it, would recommend 3 stars – good show, nothing too notable 2 stars – would not recommend to others 1 star – did not finish, do not recommend.
- The Undoing – 4 stars
- 7th Heaven Season 6 – 4 stars
- The Queens Gambit – 5 stars
- The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Season 4 – 4 stars
- Fate: The Winx Sage – 3 stars
- Lucifer Season 5 – 4 stars
- Firefly Lane – 5 stars
- Where’d You Go Bernadette – 5 stars
- American Murderer: The Family Next Door – 5 stars
- Tiny Pretty Things – 3 stars
- Red Dot – 1 star
- Outlander Season 3 – 4 stars
- 7th Heaven Season 7 – 4 stars
- Chef Show Volume 1 – 5 stars
- Behind Her Eyes – 4 stars
- Ginny & Georgia – 5 stars
- 7th Heaven Season 8 – 4 stars
- Chef Show Volume 2 – 5 stars
- To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before: Always and Forever – 5 stars
- Namaste Wahala – 1 star
- Friends Seasons 1-2 – 5 stars
- Murder Among the Mormons – 5 stars
- Station 19 Seasons 1-3 – 5 stars
- The Bachelor Season 25 – 2 stars
- The Vow – 5 stars
- Real Housewives of Salt Lake City Season 1 – 5 stars
- Prodigal Son – 5 stars
- Friends Seasons 3-5 – 5 stars
- Crime Scene: The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel – 3 stars
- Operation Varsity Blues: The College Admissions Scandal – 2 stars
- Why Did You Kill Me? – 3 stars
- Nadiya’s Time to Eat – 5 stars
- Trial of the Chicago 7 – 5 stars
- I Care A Lot – 4 stars
- Ugly Delicious Season 1 – 5 stars
- 7th Heaven Season 9 – 4 stars
- The Circle Season 2 – 3 stars
- Kenan – 4 stars
- Friends Seasons 6-9 – 5 stars
- Shadow & Bone – 5 stars
- Masked Singer Season 6 – 4 stars
- Friends Season 10 – 5 stars
- Station 19 Season 4 – 5 stars
- Greys Anatomy Season 17 – 3 stars
- 7th Heaven Season 10 – 4 stars
- New Girl Season 1-6 – 5 stars
- Luca – 4 stars
- Fatherhood – 4 stars
- Married at First Sight Season 12 – 4 stars
- Ugly Delicious Season 2 – 5 stars
- Top Chef Season 18 – 5 stars
- New Girl Season 7 – 5 stars
- Manifest Season 1 – 5 stars
- Never Have I Ever Season 2 – 5 stars
- The Crown Season 1 – 5 stars
- Virgin River Season 3 – 3 stars
- Outer Banks Season 2 – 5 stars
- New Girl Season 1-7 – 5 stars
- The Bachelorette Season 17 – 2 stars
- Love is Blind: After the Altar – 3 stars
- FBoy Island – 4 stars
- Manifest Season 2 – 4 stars
- Love Island US Season 3 – 4 stars
- The Crown Season 2 – 5 stars
- Vampire Diaries Seasons 1-3 – 4 stars
- Big Brother Season 23 – 5 stars
- Woke – 4 stars
- The Originals Season 1 – 5 stars
- Vampire Diaries Season 4 – 4 stars
- Maid – 5 stars
- Bachelor in Paradise Season 7 – 4 stars
- Only Murders in the Building – 5 stars
- Fantasy Island – 5 stars
- Outlander Season 4 – 4 stars
- LoveHard – 4 stars
- Snowed Inn Christmas – 4 stars
- No Sleep Til Christmas – 2 stars
- Hometown Christmas – 2 stars
- A Sweet Christmas Romance – 3 stars
- A California Christmas – 3 stars
- Dancing Through the Snow – 2 stars
- The Originals Season 2 – 4 stars
- Red Notice – 5 stars
- The Christmas Contract – 4 stars
- A Castle for Christmas – 2 stars
- The Housewife and the Shah Shocker – 3 stars
- A Very Charming Christmas Town – 2 stars
- Holidaze – 3 stars
- Christmas A La Mode – 2 stars
- True Story – 5 stars
- Rodeo and Juliet – 2 stars
- Single All the Way – 4 stars
- Originals Season 3 – 4 stars
- Survivor Season 41 – 5 stars
- Friends Seasons 1-3 – 5 stars
- The Challenge Season 37: Spies, Lies, & Allies – 5 stars
- The Bachelorette Season 18 – 5 stars
- The Unforgiveable – 5 stars
- Emily in Paris Season 2 – 4 stars
- Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner – 5 stars
- The Crown Season 3 – 5 stars
- The Glass Castle – 4 stars